Keila's Blog

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Holly Springs Summer Teaching

This summer I was part of the first ever joint partnership between Holly Springs School District and MTC. When the idea was first presented to us in the spring, I was probably one of the few teacher corps that though it was actually a great idea. I figure I am still a novice teacher and I need all the help I can get and if there are going to be others in the classroom, I won’t be teaching the entire time anyway. Also, teaching summer school would give me another chance before starting the school year off again with my classroom management. It would be kind of a time to experiment with students you will never see again. When Ben finally gave us the final schedule, I was still excited to teach. I am teaching 7th grade math this summer with another guy in the program who teaches in the same kind of Delta school district that I teach in. We only have 8 kids in our class this summer and even though they all have different personalities, it gets boring sometime with such a small number. I enjoy the administration and the accessibility to materials at the school. My summer school classroom is way better looking than my regular school year classroom. I did experiment on my students with my new classroom management environment I want to implement in the fall and it works for me the periods that I teach. I overheard one student at lunch say, she didn’t want to sit directly next to me because she is scared of me. I was scared of my parents growing up because I knew they meant business, but I still knew that they loved me! I especially am enjoying the town of Holly Springs itself. I am learning a lot about the history of the town and the history of the school. I have even walked around the neighborhood where the school is to take in the small town environment. I would like to do more research on the town just to know about it for myself. I also have had the chance to watch some of the other 2nd year teachers to see how they teach. This summer has already been an awesome experience, EXCEPT for the waking up at the crack of dawn. The only thing that I am not pleased with is the whole “Lead Teacher” deal. Who is to say that one teacher is better than the other.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home